Let us pay homage now to Yogi Berra, by seeing how many of his sayings we can catch correctly. As he declared himself, “I never said most of the things I said.”; the game is to identify which of the tongue-slips below actually belong to the real Yogi. Nine do, the other seven are usurpers.
1. When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
2. Is it kisstomary to cuss the bride?
3. You can observe a lot by just watching.
4. Having one wife is called monotony.
5. It ain’t over till it’s over.
6. No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded
7. It’s like déjà vu all over again.
8. It will take time to restore chaos and order.
9. Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.
10. It was a blushing crow.
11. We made too many wrong mistakes.
12. She couldn’t eat crabs or any other crushed Asians.
13. The future ain’t what it used to be.
14. They have miscalculated me as a leader.
15. If the world were perfect, it wouldn’t be.
16. For seven and a half years, I’ve worked alongside xxxx. We’ve had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We’ve had some sex… uh…setbacks.
Answers: Oddly enough, the odd numbers belong to Yogi, as does #6. #2, #10 and #12 belong to the Rev Spooner. #8, #14 and #16 belong to past Presidents striving for literary immortality. #4 is attributed to Mrs Malaprop.
So remember, it ain’t what you say, it’s the way that you say it!
Also find these older posts…
A … Angst
B … Brag
C … Clowder
D … Down
E … Errors
F … Folly
G … Global
H … Huh?
I … Immigrants
J … Jet
K … King
L … Lunch
M … Moby
N … No!
O … Once
P … Pundit
Q … Quibbler
R … Robot
S … Sillivization
T … Telemarketing
U … Utopia
V … Vexing
W … Water
X … X15